Thursday, December 17, 2009

Adventures in Music Part 1


For as long as I can remember, I have always been a fan of church and choir music, especially come Christmas time when the songs they play during Simbang Gabi masses that speak of hope and joy never fail to lift my spirits.

This December, I've been very lucky to have been able to sit through amazing and free (yay!) concerts. One was the Take and Receive: Ateneo Sesquicentennial (whew, what a mouthful!) Festival of Music and second is the launching of Bukas Palad's newest album, To Love and to Serve. Both concerts were held at the Church of the Gesu inside Ateneo de Manila.

Take are received featured various Ateneo singing groups. The even was hosted by Tina Revilla-Valencia. The lights around Bellarmine filled were all lit up signalling the beginning of Christmas inside the campus.

This is just perfect for barkada picnics, dates and marriage proposals!
The set inside the Church was beautifully done. The screen in the middle of the altar showed inspiring picture made to accompany the even more moving music.


The lights were also great, albeit a little distracting. I think I spent a lot of time whispering to my seatmate, "Look spirals! Christmas balls! ooohh stars!" hehe.



First to perform was the Ateneo Boys Choir from the Ateneo Grade School. The kids were so adorable. There's just something about little singing boys that can move the toughest of people to tears. They look so innocent, so harmless. Of course, parents would know better.


The highlight of their 3-song setlist is Ryan Cayabyab's Kay Gandang Alay.

They were followed by the Ateneo High School Glee club. They also performed a song by Mr. Cayabyab, Prayer of St. Francis. But my favorite from their set will have to be Sana Ngayong Pasko. I love that song, it's been my LSS (Last Song Syndrome) for quite some time now. Sana ngayong Pasko ay maalala mo pa rin ako. Hinahanap-hanap pag-ibig mo. At kahit wala ka na, nangangarap at umaasa pa rin ako makapiling ka, makasama ka sa araw ng Pasko.

Blue Symphony came next, performing a melody of traditional Christmas songs which included

Pianist, Jonathan Coo and Flutist, Ray Sison then played theire versions of What Child is This? and Jingle Bells.

The ever professional and almost-perfect Ateneo College Glee Club then sang their set. My favorite from their performance, hands down would have to be "Elijah Rock". It's funny and amazing at the same time. It feels like a song from the Lion King with its thunderous cadence. Ask me to sing it sometime, I give a killer rendition. hehe.


My favorite for the night would have to be Ateneo Chamber Singers. What I like about the group is that they're just as talented as the Glee Club, except that they're no longer as pressured to win or be perfect. Thus they seem to be having more fun and comfortable on stage, which makes it fun for the audience to watch them as well. They sang Warrior is A Child and Shine


The finale had all the performers singing and playing Sa Ating Paglipad-Ito ang Diwa ng Ateneo the theme for Ateneo's Sesquicentennial celebration. I didn't care much for the song, truth be told. What I do enjoyed about that presentation is seeing Fr. Ben Nebres sing along with the other school heads.


I'm such a Fr. Ben fan. I just want to adopt him as my grandfather, a wise old man who would be guiding me through my life. I always try to have my picture taken with him. But for some reason, he never remembers me. That night was no exception. Together with Sabs, whose a friend of Fr.'s I asked for a picture with him. He got it all wrong, and posed for a picture with me and the rest of the group. In my head I was thinking, I don't pictuers with any of these people. I only want a picture with you Fr.


After the shot, I was about to ask to have his picture taken with just me, then he said "Great, take my picture with Sabs." Aaaargh.

Oh well, I'm just gonna crop the rest of the group out from our picture.

Then we reached for the stars!


Part 2 to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment