Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bookshelf: The Witches

One of my favorite movies when I was a kid was The Witches. Which is why I was so delighted when I saw the book on which it was based in Masbate. I just had to read it.

And boy, let me tell you I had the same giddiness reading it as when I watched it. I was a kid again. The Witches is a dark comedy for kids. Imagine, any old lady you see on the street could be a witch who simply hates children, who wish to rid the world of children by turning them into a mouse!

What's so wonderful is that the movie used most of the lines, characters and events in the book. The biggest difference is the ending. Dahl's remains faithful to the dark tone set at the beginning of the book while the movie's was more sugary.

I personally enjoyed better the movie's ending. But I find the book's ending more logical. I was never a fan of logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment